The Fernie Mountain Bike Club was established in 1990 as a loose-knit group of riders who met every Wednesday for a ride. Its mandate is as follows:
Fostering a sustainable cycling community.
The Fernie Mountain Bike Clubs mission is to ensure the long term development and maintenance of a valuable community asset to be enjoyed by all styles and levels of riders.
- To encourage participation in recreational and competitive cycling to people of all ages and abilities.
- To promote responsible mountain biking practices.
- Collaborate with other user groups.
- To organize volunteers to aid in the restoration, development, and maintenance of mountain bike trail systems.
- To participate in the planning process for and the management of recreational land as it relates to mountain bike access and use.
- To advocate that bike access and trail coordination becomes an integral part of the recreation philosophy and planning in Fernie.
To educate users on :
- mountain bike safety,
- mountain bike practices that minimize user conflicts, trail damage and ecological impact,
- mountain bike trail planning, building and maintenance.